Monday, November 5, 2007
















Happy faced Colbert

-----------------------------------------------
Per D.....

So, a significant milestone happened today. Over the past couple of weeks, when wrestling on the floor with the dogs, Colbert has become less and less evasive and more willing to get near me. While my hand is touching another dog he will get right up to it and sniff it, until I would direct my hand at him in a playful manner and he would back up. Then he stopped moving away and would just let me flail my fingers at him. He would always be tense while I would scratch his head after cornering him to prevent his escape.

Anyway, today we were all playing on the floor and he let me scratch his head without running off. He even responded when I scratched him at the base of his tail—contorting his body in the standard way a dog will when you find their sweet spot. He's so happy when he plays with the other dogs.

Playtime is over now, and he's back under his little fort: a dog bed that he wears as a hat. He spends most of the time underneath something. Last week he even walked with it on top of him to his food bowl until the bowl was underneath the bed as well and then began to eat...while under the bed.

I'm anxious to see how much more he improves with more time.

-D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - we are fostering an abused/feral 5 month old roti-lab mix puppy that someone dumped on our road in the country. She is very sweet, but will not let us pet her either. We've had her about 5 days now and she's let me "pet" her three times and she's licked my hand at the same time. It was a major coup, but was so tentative. She's living in our garage and won't come in our finished basement (we have cats so can't let her in the rest of the house). I'd love to exchange ideas via email. Mine is lisa@museumcenter.org. We are dog people so I'm pretty much at a loss.

Lisa Simpson Lutts